Simple meals that don’t lack in flavor are my favorite kinda meals. When I get to throw them into the crock pot and forget about them? I love them even more. Enter the Simple & Savory Shredded BBQ Chicken. This is my favorite way to make shredded BBQ chicken, so I figured I’d share it with you!
We usually make a large amount and toss some into a plastic dish to freeze. This makes a GREAT freezer meal. When it’s time to reheat, throw it into a sauce pan with a little water (about a tablespoon) and cover it with a lid. Heat over medium heat and stir as you’re able. Once it has heated throughout, it’s ready to eat again!
Simple & Savory Shredded BBQ Chicken
Notes before beginning:
- Always make sure your chicken reaches a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit before deciding it is done.
- If you don’t have soy sauce, use Worcestershire sauce instead. I swap them out once in a while and love it both ways!
- Dark brown sugar will have a stronger taste than light brown sugar. I use whatever one I have on hand, but we usually prefer the dark if we have the option. Try it out and see what one your family likes best!
- Keep some extra barbecue sauce on hand for when you reheat the BBQ after freezing.
- Don’t trim the chicken breasts. Leave the fat and just toss them straight out of the package and into the crock pot. I NEVER leave the fat any other time, but trust me, just leave it.
- When cooking chicken in the crock pot, rule of thumb for cooking on High is 4-6 hours. When we shred it at hour 3, the thin shreds of chicken are able to cook faster than the thick pieces, so I only leave it in for one more hour from the time I have put the lid back on after shredding the meat.
- If you want to cook it overnight, you need to cook it on Low for 6-8 hours. Leave the lid closed until the 5th hour, shred the chicken, and allow to cook at least another hour. Be mindful of what time you start it, because you just might have to wake up at 4 am if you aren’t!
What you need:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, fresh, not frozen
1/2 cup brown sugar (I use whatever I’ve got, dark or light works)
1/3 cup soy sauce (use a 1/4 cup if you’re weary of the salt)
1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce
How to make it:
- Pour all the barbecue into the crock pot. Turn it on High.
- Add in brown sugar and soy sauce, stirring until the consistency is smooth.
- Lay all 6 chicken breasts into the barbecue mixture. Use the spoon to make sure there is barbecue between the layers of meat and over top as well.
- Cook on High for 3 hours. Do not open the lid during this time. After 3 hours, remove the lid and use a hand mixer with it’s regular mixing attachments to shred the chicken on the LOWEST SPEED. Do not go any faster than that.
- Once the chicken is shredded well, return the lid and allow the chicken to cook another hour. You’ll see it boiling when it is done and ready to go. (It will cook quickly once it is shredded, but always check the temperature of your food before deciding it is done).
This Simple & Savory Shredded BBQ Chicken is extremely simple and easy to make. We have it a couple times a month and it never lasts long! Eat it just as it is or with a bun and a pickle. I’ll be posting more of my favorite go-to meals for those days I just need something that doesn’t involve a lot of work!